***Request an absentee ballot here***
Effective March 23, 2020 until April 10, 2020 the Otero County Clerk’s Office is closed to the public and will only be conducting business by phone, email and mail. There is also a dropbox available, but please call our office for more information, 575-437-4942.
**For marriage licenses, please call our office for assistance.***
Here is the notice from the County Clerk regarding the creation of new precincts and the changing of existing precincts in Otero County.
2020 Primary Election
You can view the 2020 Primary Election Contest Candidate List by clicking here.
Dates, times and locations of Absentee In-person and Early Voting can be found here.
When to File
Preprimary Convention Designation Candidate Filing Day: February 4, 2020 from 9am to 5pm
All Other Major Party Candidate Filing Day: March 10, 2020 from 9am to 5pm
Primary Election Write-in Candidate Filing Day: March 17, 2020 from 9am to 5pm
Click here for more information from the New Mexico Secretary of State’s Office
FILING FEE CHANGES
As of July 1, 2019, the Clerk’s Office will no longer offer a $10 in-person filing fee. Please click here for more information.
Duties of the County Clerk
- First, the County Clerk serves as the arm of the State with regard to the administration of the elections in the County.
- Second, the County Clerk has significant recording, filing, and indexing duties as the repository for numerous documents.
- Third, the County Clerk serves as the Ex-Officio Clerk for the Board of County Commissioners of their respective county.
- Fourth, the County Clerk also serves as the Clerk of the Probate Court.
- Fifth, the County Clerk is responsible for the issuance of marriage licenses.
- Finally, the County Clerk has other varied statutory duties, including but not limited to those relating to the routine financial transactions of the County.