- Detention Center
- Information for Inmates
- Inmate Correspondence
Senders: Verifiable Full Name and Complete Address
Please address U.S. Mail to:
Inmate's Full Name and Housing Unit
C/O Otero County Detention Center
1958 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Alamogordo, NM 88310
Inmates may send and receive mail to whomever they wish but may not correspond with individuals who are incarcerated in a juvenile or adult correctional or detention facility. Inmates who may have immediate family incarcerated must require written authorization to correspond by Director or designee of both facilities in writing. There shall be no limit on the amount of incoming mail an inmate is allowed; however there is a limit to the amount of mail that may be store in the inmates tote box.
Mail shall be inspected for contraband and distributed to inmates with (48) hours of its delivery to the facility, excluding weekends and holidays, or emergency situations, unless it is being withheld for review and/or secured for evidence. Mail is sorted and subject to censorship along with searches for contraband if there is reasonable suspicion to suggest correspondence may contain information of criminal activity, contraband, risk of safety and security of persons, orderly management of the facility, or any violation of the facility rules.
Through United States Postal Service
All letters must be mailed through the United States Postal Service into the facility. Written or verbal messages will not be passed or relayed to inmates. Acceptable incoming mail items other than letters to be received in the mail are 4x6 pictures (appropriate), money orders, and cashier’s check.
Packages (anything over 9 x 13 envelope is considered a package) and will not be accepted. The only exception will be if the package was pre-approved. All packages must be pre-approved in writing. Incoming pre-approved packages may only contain items that are ordered through authorized facility practices or books from publishers or commercial distributors or legal materials. If a package is not approved by the Director or designee, the package will be returned to sender.
The facility will not accept mail with:
- Envelopes with additional writing other than addresses, drawings, stickers, gang related symbols or drawings are prohibited
- Lipstick marks, any type of make-up, letters or envelopes doused in cologne or perfume
- Letters containing pornographic and/or sexually explicit photos or publications
- Any materials that depict or describe the use or manufacture of drugs, alcoholic substance, firearms, explosives and/or other weapons
- Materials that promote hate, violence, or bias
- Correspondence written in code or untranslatable
- No downloaded or photocopied e-mail, newspaper, magazines articles, newsletters, or computer documents
Un-returnable mail (due to missing or incomplete return address) will be destroyed. Inmates will receive return notification when mail is refused and/or returned to sender.
The facility will provide four postage stamps per month if the inmate is considered indigent status.
- Outgoing mail should be marked “Legal”
- Addressed to a Court, Judge, Attorney, Jail Official, Government Official, or Para-Legal.
- Legal Mail will not be read by jail employees, but may be opened and searched for contraband in the presence of the inmate.
- Legal Mail may be scanned and/or censored for safety and security purposes.
Bibles and items necessary to practice a religion will be authorized. Additional materials will be pre-authorized by Director or designee. All materials must fit in the inmate tote box and excessive materials the inmate must release excess to a friend or family member.